Pages

Wednesday 4 March 2009

Alexandria



"Every Oriental, even if he is an idiot, knows instinctively what a woman should and should not do, and she should not do anything except wait on him, so he does not have to bother about asking asking her advice. He knows that Western women are too free and that freedom for women is bad for men -- very bad indeed. The only career a woman should have is looking after her husband, and sometimes, if she's lucky, he may call in up to three more women to help her do this, so that she won't get tired."
- Jacqueline Carol

As is obvious, I'm currently reading Cocktails and Camels, and it's hilarious. Jacqueline is not only very precise about living in Egypt, or more specifically, living in Alexandria, but she is sarcastic and witty about so many things it's a great read for someone like me.
I didn't think I'd enjoy reading for college this much, but I changed my mind.

On a totally different note: Weather in Alexandria is being absolutely crazy. My poor friends's teeth were chattering a few days ago, and it rained a LOT. I liked the cold, just not the wind, very much. And today it's like midsummer, hot and stuffy. El khamseen (sandstorms) are coming this way, I'm guessing. And soon, too.

I visited another Book Fair, this one in Alexandria instead of Cairo. Actually it's the same yearly international one, they moved from Cairo to here two weeks ago. Tomorrow will be the last day again. And, like always around books, I caved in. I had to get a whole list for college, most of which are contemporary reads, so they should be alright, and snuck in a book or two for myself, too. I also got a microphone/ear-plug speaker, it looks like those handsfree bluetooth thingers, only it's not handsfree. :3
I have this way of digging myself into debt, huh? I don't think I should be spending much more, cause this is going to be what kills me, if nothing else.

xxx
The Gypsy.

8 comments:

  1. I have had so much work this week, even more than i'd planned. All my projects are late because I wasn't counting on being gainfully employed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But that's irrelevant. I miss you. u.u Considering the nature of our communications and geography, I figured we'd run into something like this sooner or later. Still, if I can't get on AIM in time, I'll get on here. *snug* Take care, hon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I ever tell you the reason I picked that pic at the top of my blog was because it reminds me of the pic you drew of me? x3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your new job, hun!
    And to be honest, I never really saw this coming. I"m having withdrawal symptoms. )=
    And no, you never did xD Now, I know :3
    *snug*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got lost for an hour tonight when my GPS bugged out on me. When I arrived, the pizzas were merely lukewarm. That said, I still made $13 an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *CLINGS* I am SO sorry I was gone please please pleeeeease be okay Jessie I miss yoooouuuuu ).:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Discrimination! D< *stomps foot to the floor* THIS is why I want to be the KING and show the world I can also kick ass, even if I didn't happen to become a boy! GRR!

    El khamseen sounds cool... Even though sandstorms themselves most likely aren't good. x'D

    Microphone/ear-plug speakers are so cool! >.< And don't worry, once you get done with college and get a job from somewhere and monies regularly, you don't have to panic over purchasing something. As long as you don't buy a pool? x'D

    ReplyDelete