Pages

Wednesday 25 February 2009

Gypsy..


"... The object of the artist is the creation of the beautiful.
What the beautiful is is another question..."
-James Joyce.

I just got told this: Foreigners (probably the English and French, when coming here to occupy this poor country) called Egypt Egypt because they thought Egyptians were like gypsies. o.o
I think this is really hilarious, and I'm not even sure why. Probably because of the coincidence of one of my nicknames being Gypsy, obviously.

To be quite honest, I don't think the stereotypical Egyptian fits the description of gypsy whatsoever, mostly because they're not into adventure, or traveling. They like to settle and stay put, unless they're planning to go to the West, because they're naive enough to believe it rains gold over there~ ( I said stereotypical. Yes, there are those that are adventurous. But that's usually the case with generalizations, eh?)

I was trying to remember why I was called the Gypsy, as soon as I heard that~ It's because three different friends called me a gypsy, for three different reasons. The first thought my username (Hippogrifff) reminded her of it, so Gipsy it was. The second called me it for my passion for traveling, and my infinitely unquenchable cureousity. The third thought I looked like one, with my European bone features (Broad forehead, high cheekbones, etc) and dark "magic" eyes and hair~ I also got told I was untameable, and although that was said by an Arab, and thus clearly meant as criticism, I think it's also part gypsy, isn't it?
I decided to agree that it suited me, even though I might not agree with all the reasons.

Enough rambling about this.
I'll start disecting every one of my ten nicknames, if I'm not careful xD

xxx
The Gypsy.

2 comments:

  1. For example: I call you Jessie because your name is Jacintha (sp?) and you call yourself Jess and, when I am on affectionate terms with people I have to add or subtract as many syllables as it takes to make it two syllables. Usually the first is a consonant base and the second is pure vowel, so you get Jess-ie. :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOHOHOO! Gipsy indeed! ;D I was really first?! I think I remembered I was second, but good thing I remembered wrong. x3 That's awesome though! 8D
    Oh and, I had no idea that Egypt's name had something to do with gypsies. o.o Talk about a coincidence, indeed! I was all surprisedly grinning when I read that! x'D

    ReplyDelete